Monday, December 15, 2008

Academic Namby Pamby

Let me preface this post by saying I'm not usually a grade grubber.

Ok, so I thought I rocked my U.S. Financial Policy final, and apparently I did. I got an A just like I did on the paper, the presentation, and the midterm. Needless to say I was surprised when I logged into our grade system to see I got an A minus. She practically admitted I earned an A:
Hi Whitney,No problem, you have a very legitimate question given your grades
in this class. You got an 8/10 for participation, which was better
than average (about 6). You did very well in the class. A's
are reserved for the 2 or 3 students that were doing A or A+ work
throughout the semester.

So she picks favorites? I was finally proud of growing out of my brown noser stage and then I find out it could have come in handy!

We exchanged another round of emails and apparently she only counts a 95 and up as an A, but this is not stated in the syllabus nor was it ever mentioned in class. The only reason I'm so particular is that I have to keep my GPA high in order to count another study abroad trip towards my degree and every little bit counts...especially when I'm anticipating my first dreaded B in statistics. Here's hoping...

No comments: