Thursday, June 18, 2009

Homesick for Texas

I blame the torrential downpours of the last two weeks. I think it might be the first time since I moved here permanently after college that I'm actually homesick for the Lone Star State. "It's a lovely place to be born and raised, but I've had my fill, " I say at cocktail parties when introduced as the token Texan. Immediately people always want to know if I'll ever go back. Probably not for a multitude of reasons, but today...today my friends I am homesick.

Homesick for incessant sunshine...
Homesick for being baked alive when I get into a car that's sat in triple digit heat...
...for Blue Bell Ice Cream...
...for that friendly Texan twang...
...for TexMex and margaritas...
...for pick up trucks and guns...
...for Sonic Drive-In drinks...
...for goshdarn sunshine!

3 comments:

kate said...

Whitney! Fellow Texan! No part of me is homesick for guns and pickup trucks, but everything else is spot on! If you ever want to road trip to Fredericksburg where our nearest Sonic is located, I am there. Just let me know! Lone Star Love!

Whitney Lynne said...

OMG I'm totally taking you up on that Sonic excursion - I've been looking for someone to go to Fredericksburg with for that very reason! We shall discuss at book club. Also, please send me your potsticker recipe - I already miss the dumplings I had in China.

Adwell said...

Meh. It's REALLY, REALLY hot here right now. I've done little but eat, read and watch TV for two weeks because the heat sucks every drop of energy me. Don't miss it too much. But I do miss YOU.