Thursday, March 12, 2009

D.C. Voucher Program

With a D.C. public school now sitting square out my window, I see the kids as young as 8 or 9 get off public transportation at the corner and walk into school each morning. Yes, many of these kids are by themselves. 78% of the kids I see walking into this particular school live below the federal poverty line.

While I can't attest to the quality of the school, I have read a decent amount about public education in the District and I wonder if this school is doing right by them. Which is why I was really upset to read in the WashTimes today that the Democrats in Congress have already made up their mind to not renew the voucher program that enables many D.C. kids to go to better schools:
The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which has jurisdiction over the D.C. voucher program, appears to have made up its mind, according to an internal document obtained by The Washington Times.
Even if you don't agree with school choice, there hasn't been a comprehensive review of the D.C. program to justify uprooting the 1700 low income kids from their current schools. This is a travesty of epic proportions.

I saw the President and Founder of DC Parents for School Choice speak at CPAC a couple weeks ago and her rational and passionate plea for increased opportunity is inspiring. I hope her cause survives this Congress. Read more here at www.voicesofschoolchoice.org

No comments: