Monday, March 30, 2009

Deconstructing "The Office"

And no, I'm not talking about one of my favorite NBC tv shows "The Office." I'm talking about how traditional office environs can be stifling to my generation which is why this article caught my eye:
The Millennials are coming - armed with Facebook accounts and netbooks, the latest generation of young workers are entering the workplace ready to raze traditional touchstones of business to the ground.

Web 2.0 evangelist Don Tapscott - author of tech titles including Wikinomics and The Digital Economy - is forecasting a "big conflict" in the office, sparked by the generation of 11- to 30-year-olds who are determined to reshape the workplace in their own image.
Micromanaging has always been the bane of my existence. Not that I know if I could do any better, but I like to think that if you pick good people, empower them, and then all you have to do is hold them accountable for the good and the bad. If your employee works better barefoot curled up in the sunny corner of her office, so be it! Thankfully, I have not been chastised for this....yet.

No comments: